Holiday Shopping Guide: Some of My Favorite Running Clothes & Gear

By Unknown - November 26, 2012

In light of the impending holiday shopping season, I thought I'd do a little blog about my favorite athletic and running gear.


The Perfect Black Leggings / Crops

Lululemon makes pretty much the most comfortable and flattering clothing I've ever worn. If you can get past their weird name and funny logo, you'll find athletic clothing that looks like eye candy and feels like it's made just for you.

The downside? It's expensive. But, if you consider how many black leggings/ yoga pants/ sports bras/ whatever over the years you've had that have have fallen apart and are currently hanging in your closet neglected. Sometimes I feel like some clothing brands  (*cough* Patagonia * cough) don't even consider positioning of pockets/ seam-lines when designing their attire. It's like an insta-weggie before you step out the front door.

When I got my first pair of Lululemon Wunder Under Crops, I immediately went through my entire closet and got rid of ELEVEN pairs of black crop leggings.  I didn't wear the majority of them, and they were taking up space in my closet. Plus, I've had friends tell me these crops look brand new years later. Biggest piece of advice: Wash cold, and hang dry. The dryer kills clothing.

Anyway, here are the simple-but-amazing yoga/ gym/ everyday black legging.

Lulelemon Wunder Unders - $72.00

The Running Pant That Stays in Place

They feel like a second skin. When I'm on a run, the last thing I want to deal with is feeling uncomfortable. 

I purchased my first pair of Lululemon running crops last January and I've been hooked ever since. I literally went into the store, picked out a pair of running crops (without looking at the price tag) and tried them on. I decided that I deserved a new pair, since I had just signed up for my first half-marathon.  I handed over my debit card...and I almost choked when the girl told me the total. Too ashamed to change my mind, I signed my name and I went home with my soon-to-be favorite running pants.

They are made with a moisture-wicking, chafe-resistant material-- affectionately called "Luxtreme". I think Lululemon is particularly useful for long distance running. Oh, and, did I mention it has like three pockets? Perfect for stashing your keys, some cash, and an energy gel. The pair I got in January also had a pocket for my iPhone.

Run: Inspire Crop II - $86.00

The Perfect Long Sleeve and You're New Second Skin

I recently got one of my best friends to purchase the Run: Swiftly Tech Long Sleeve and I pretty much created a new Lululemon addict. The nice thing about this piece is that is has thumbholes to keep your hands warm/ the sleeves in place during your run. It's also moisture-wicking so you don't overheat in this long-sleeve yet it also keeps you from being cold.

I have the color combo below, and it's pretty much the best thing ever.

Run: Swiftly Long Sleeve - $68.00


Hydration

This little guy has been my best friend for my long runs. They also come in 16oz and 22oz. What I also like about these handhelds, in comparison to other brands, is that Amphipod handhelds mold to the shape of your hand. I literally forget that I'm holding anything. 




Hydraform Thermal-Lite 12oz.

Finally, A Cute GPS Watch

Garmin Forerunner 10 - Retail $129.99
I purchased my first Garmin last June, and it took me almost four months to save up for. It was an expensive buy, but it gives me valuable information and I wear it almost every time I run. I chose the Garmin 910XT because it reps a 20 hour battery life, heart-rate monitor, and is waterproof. It will be a long time before I attempt anything that is over 20 hours, but I decided I wanted to have all features possible.

That being said, the majority of the time, all I really care about is distance and time. Garmin recently came out with the Forerunner 10, a more simple and straight-forward version of their other models. It also comes at a much more reasonable price, $129.99 compared to $300-400+. And, it comes in awesome colors!

The Headphones That Don't Fall Out


Sennheiser - Addidas "Ear Fit" Headphones - $49.99
Headphones are delicate, pesky things. They fall out during runs, get easily tangled, and never seem to last more than a few months at a time. When I was shopping around for new headphones designed for runners, I found the Sennheiser Addidas line. If you buy at Best Buy, you can get insurance for them for around 10 bucks. Insurance is the most important thing you can do. I'm not kidding when I say I've returned mine three times and gotten brand new pairs back. You may say they are a bad brand if I had to take them back three times. It's actually the opposite. I wear them out because I use them for at least an hour everyday, and can be careless with them. They have fantastic sound quality, never fall out during runs, and have an extension that gives you volume control as well!

Ditch The Shoes and Get Some Luna Sandals

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Luna Sandals, and this holiday season I urge you to try out some new sandals instead of a new pair of shoes. Use them for cross-training, around town, and traveling. Use them for gardening or for an Ultramarathon. The possibilities are endless.

The Original Luna w/ ATC Laces - Starting at $65
What I like most about the newer versions of the Lunas is the new lacing system. Previously, the Lunas have been designed with wrap-around hemp or leather laces. Second generation Lunas had a sort of leather band (which is what I have). I think this is a step in a good direction for Luna Sandals. They look more sleek, are more customizable to the shape of your food, and have a more secure hold.


These are just some of my favorite things/ running gear. Now, I want to know what YOUR favorite things all :)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments